Heck yah...Vacation of a lifetime!!

Saturday, January 6, 2007

Northern Vietnam

Since the earthquake in Taiwan severed a huge Internet cable it has been frustrating to use the Internet. But alas, a fast connection, and an update!

With only half a day of exploring Hanoi, I was coaxed into going and hiking in Sapa. I had originally decided against it, but it wasn't like I really had plans!

After the train ride, it was time to go exploring. First on the agenda: find warm socks, mittens (I am wearing them in the picture), and a winter coat! Just kidding it wasn't that cold, but at night it was close to 5 degrees. We ended up hiring a guide to take us to these waterfalls and to Tram Tom Pass. It was awesome exploring the picturesque country side on the back of a moto and later seeing the sunset at an elevation of 1900m. Needless to say once the sun set it was long cold ride back into town on the moto. The next day we hiked through a few villages with a guide from one of the villages. She was this little girl who took us down, then straight back up, back down again, before having to climb back up the rice fields. It was amazing to see how each village lives, and how they use everything from the land. It makes you really appreciate what you have.


Back in Hanoi for Christmas Eve...what a gong show. I have never seen streets as mad as these ones. The pictures tell all! Our hotel had a really nice party for all of its' guests. There was rice wine we had to drink out of a jug, and lots of fun food too. Next a guy I met from Kenya/NYC, Matt, and I headed out to a local bar to meet up with some other travellers we had met during the day. What a way to spend Christmas Eve. Have you ever seen a moto parade of Santa's before??


Christmas Day, on a boat...sound good to me. Halong Bay was a gorgeous way to spend the next 3 days. We explored limestone caves, hiked, stayed at a little island, and visited another island or so. I was fortunate to be on a boat with great people. I also met a family from Seattle travelling the world for a year. They were magnificent! The 2 little boys kinda reminded me of Jer, and Jon, so we had lots of fun together, and it brought me a little closer to home over Christmas. We played cards, Frisbee, and shared lots of laughs too.

Back to Hanoi for a day or so before
heading south. Oh better spell check so I don't get email's informing me of my horrid grammar...thanks k-dawg!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey speaking of xmas, u could get me a nice Armani or perhaps Hugo Boss suit!!!

Anonymous said...

xpuctoc naopdubcia jen!!!

We really missed you this year carolling, but we managed to party in true Ukie style as usual. Hope all is well, we miss you lots!!!

Luba

Anonymous said...

Heah Jen, How's the weather??? You missed the blizzard of your lifetime!!!More snow & COLD!!Hope all is well with you.
Love you lots,
Mom XOXOX

Anonymous said...

Seems like you're having a great time, Jen! Everyone misses you at dance, and I think we're all learning to appreciate you A LOT more.
Miss you!
Jenna