Heck yah...Vacation of a lifetime!!

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Angkor Wow!

Alright I know I am a million years behind on this blog, but better late than never!

Welcome to Cambodia!! A new country, new people, new smells, new exciting sights. From what I had read, and from what people had told me about Cambodia, I was bracing myself for something completely different than what I experienced. Cambodians have a different personality than the Vietnamese. Their eyes sparkle, and they have smiles from ear to ear. This is not something I would have expected from a country who's recent history is nothing to smile about. And yet somehow they are able to look forward, and wish you 'good luck' instead of good-bye. It leaves you with a warm feeling inside and how can you not smile.


Angkor Wat is something I have trouble explaining to people. To me it might be one of the most spectacular sights I will ever see in my life. The temples date back to the Khmer empire and are an absolute eyesore. A group of us explored the temples for 2 days, catching a sunrise and sunset at the famous Angkor Wat, and another sunset at another temple. I went a little picture crazy, but the pictures don't really do much justice. The town of Siem Riep was also a really interesting town with lots of character and a fun street, "Bar St." for evening gatherings.



Here are a few pictures of the amazing temples, and us girls with our driver Fee....oh Feeee.
Some places were very overcrowded with tourist, while others were quiet and allowed for more enjoyment. I spent over 2 hours in one temple exploring all the detail carved in the stones and trying to imagine how they looked before they began eroding. Many groups had tour guides and sometimes it would have been interesting to know why so many temples we created in such an area. Looking out into the vast area from on top of the temples only left me to ponder how many more temples might be out there from the days of Angkor rule and not be discovered yet.




Back in Phnom Penh, we visited the Killing Fields, as well as the S21 Genocide Museum. It was a very hard day for me to take in. The recent Cambodian history only really dates back to 1998, and to imagine where these people have come from and how hard they have had to work to regain where they were, and to move forward at the same time is a huge feat. S-21 Genocide Museum was an old Prison during the day of the Khmer Rouge, where people were sentenced to death for looking the wrong way. The Killing fields were a mass grave sight where the Khmer Rouge would place the bodies, well that is a very huge generalization. Here the skulls and clothing recovered from the mass burials were on display. A hard sight to see, and to think what went on here in the late 1970's. I would highly recommend everyone to look into a little of Cambodia's history. It is very fascinating to know how one man and his power can change the face of its people and country.


The kids here are something else. Sure it is very sad to see them working at a young age but like I said earlier they have these smiles that really tear at your heart strings. If you take the time to talk to them, hear what they have to say, ask them questions, and play with them, you really just want to take them home with you. At least I did. But I have enough students back home to call my own.

Cambodia was really great. If I could do it again, I would and I would stay longer and explore more places off the beaten track. I am so glad I came to discover what this country has to offer before tourism changes into something else.


No comments: